Midway is located in Liberty County, Georgia on Highway 17 between Savannah and Darien and has a long and distinguished history. English Puritans founded the Midway Society on August 28, 1754 in a log meeting house on Midway Neck. The Midway Society was a strongly religious Congregationalist group. These Puritans migrated to St. John’s Parish, Georgia from Dorchster, South Carolina (near Charleston) in 1752 and established a new Dorchester and another nearby settlement what was later to become the Midway Community. In 1752 the Council of Georgia granted the settlers 31,950 acres primarily because colonial officials wanted a large number of settlers there to protect them from the Creek Indians. The original settlers where primarily rice planters and developed a strong agricultural economy.
Established in 1752, the the Midway Congregational Church building was destroyed during the Revolutionary War. The present building (which still stands) was completed in 1792. The religious welfare of the slaves was given high consideration. The “colored” members of the church worshiped with whites throughout the entire existence of the church. On Sundays, the two races worshiped together, with the blacks in the galleries and the whites in the pews below. Every April, the Midway Society conducts an annual service commemorating the town’s settlement. The Church and the adjacent cemetery were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Among those buried here are Daniel Stewart and James Screven, two American Generals of the Revolutionary War. In the center of the cemetery there is a large monument dedicated to these men. The monument was dedicated in 1915.
The Midway Museum (located on Highway 17) is home to documents, exhibits, and furnishings which commemorate and affirm the love of Liberty which distinguishes the Midway Society from the Colonial period through it’s last meeting in December, 1865. The Midway Museum is Georgia’s only colonial museum.